In the traditional wisdom cultures, a spiritual payment is done any time you wish to show your gratitude to the Creator, or to retain the balance between yourself and the force of Nature. It is a way to make an offering with a specific intention or to further activate and fortify prayers you have been carrying for yourself or for loved ones.
There are many ways to do a spiritual payment, but the most common is through fasting. Here is how we recommend taking part in this form of spiritual payment.
- Choose a day when you have fewer responsibilities or can put your responsibilities on hold.
- Take the day in silence and prayer. For 12-24 hours avoid technology, food, and other sources of distraction. (You may drink water, tea, or broth if your body requires them).
- Maintain a clear intention in your prayers throughout the day, offering yourself to God and showing deep gratitude.
Spiritual payments are called “payments” because they require you to give something back. They are, in part, a way to sacrifice something; to make an offering to the Creator with the intention of receiving something in return. Some examples of reasons we would make a spiritual payment are to receive clarity on a situation, activation of a prayer or desire; reconciliation or forgiveness for the past, or in our relationships. Spiritual payments are an incredible thing to do as we near the end of 2022 and can be done around the winter solstice or at a time that works best with your holiday schedule.
Another important tool that can be utilized to close cycles and prepare for the upcoming year is through the plant technology of bitter and sweet baths. These can be done before, during, and after your spiritual payment to fortify your connection with the Creator & Nature.
Plant baths create a dialogue between the plant allies and your spirit. They are best used in rotation between sweet & bitter baths. Begin with at least 3 days of bitter baths to offer protection and clear any energies standing in the way of your spiritual path. Then, follow with an equal amount of days of sweet baths to call for the energies of sweetness and gentleness into your life.
We have pre-blended sweet baths and bitter baths available on our marketplace. Alternatively, you can create your own plant baths at home.
To create a bitter bath:
- Gather bitter plants of tobacco, rue, angel trumpet FLOWERS, and sage (tobacco is the most important for bitter baths)
- Boil a large pot of water and break up the herbs into the water, letting them simmer for an hour
- After the bath cools, strain the herbs and store them in the fridge
- Bring a cup of the plant bath with you when you shower. After towel drying, pour the plant bath over your body and let it air dry
- Repeat for 3-7 days or as needed
To create a sweet bath:
- Gather sweet plants of Basil, lavender, rosemary, mint, and lemongrass (Basil is the most important for sweet baths).
- Boil a large pot of water and break up the herbs into the water, letting them simmer for an hour.
- After the bath cools, strain the herbs and store them in the fridge.
- Bring a cup of the plant bath with you when you shower. After towel drying, pour the plant bath over your body and let it air dry.
- Repeat for the same amount of days as the bitter bath.
We encourage you to try one or both of these tools to support you in your time of reflection during this holiday season. We wish you a coming year full of blessings, growth, and healing.